Whetstone Cemetery 1909 - 2009
At a Parish Council Meeting on
17th July 1907 there was a unanimous decision to contact Trinity College,
Cambridge with a view to purchasing a plot of land to the rear of the
The land was subsequently bought for £90.
Compensation of £5 was paid to the tenant Mr John Smith; £1 to dig trial holes, and £4 for 'Tenant's Rights'.
Solicitors and surveyors were appointed, and tenders sought for the construction of the new cemetery. Quotations ranged from £487 16s to £763. Mr Sleath from Rothley with the lowest tender won the contract, only to raise it to £519 17s 9d upon discovered his former estimate 'missed out a portion of the fencing'.
The Blaby Rural District Council (the then Highway Authority) agreed to pay half the cost of making-up the roadway to the cemetery, providing the Parish Council paid the other half.
The total cost of the cemetery
project was £758 10s 5d, most of which was raised by a Public Works Loan